Sunday, February 3, 2008

McManis Merlot



2006
Ripon, California

Will probably drink again.

As an aside for a moment, I am having the Cab tonight with chili (and the Cab is in the Chili and the two together are fantastic). I will be posting my organic, vegetarian recipe on http://www.cheznathalie.com/ if interested.

OK. I know, this is not a shoe blog. I am just so excited about my new shoes for my cousin's wedding next week. I mean, look at them. Black satin, pointed toes, V-straps connected to Diamond O-rings (o.k. so MAYBE there's a chance they are zirconia O-rings - whatever). And my matching "O" necklace. How many women can actually say that their necklace matches their shoes? (Yes, my shoes are on the dinner table, however, they are brand new, fresh out of the box and never worn.) By the way, doesn't my necklace make my wine bottle look like a bad-ass rapper? I can't help it, that's what I see when I look at it - it will definitely look much different on me. I'm really excited. The Guy and The Bro are wearing their top-o-the-line Tuxes and I've got my own shindig going (thank you once again MOM) and we are going to look good. I will probably not be able to keep up with the wines we will have over the course of the two days, but I hope to catch a couple of bottle shots and review a few.

I don't believe The Guy or I ever reviewed the McManis Merlot. I did, however, state the other day that the Merlot was not nearly as good as the Cab. I stand by the Cab being better, but for $9.99, the Merlot is decent. The Guy purposely brought it home tonight so we could taste-test it officially.

It had a very berry / grapey scent, had slight oak in the taste, and ended with a slight creosote finish (like the Cab, but the Cab is loaded with oak which I like). For the price, the finish is fairly decent. I think all in all, the Merlot is a good buy and the Cab is a great buy (for the price ranges).

Quotes on my mind this evening (fresh from watching a fabulous movie - I don't care what the majority out there says about it, and, by the way, it's not that "Real men don't eat quiche", it's that "Real men watch chick flicks and actually learn something from them" - other than not to watch one again. I don't know any such "real men" personally but I'm still hopeful as I know you guys are out there).

"We are mysterious creatures, aren't we? And at the end, so much of the mystery turns out to not matter."
-Meryl Streep as "Lilah" in the movie "Evening"

And, this, my absolute favorite, from an old woman on her death bed:

"I thought there'd be so many chances"
-Lynn Redgrave as "Ann" in the movie "Evening"


8.0 out of 10
$9.99 / 750 ml. bottle
13.5% alc. by vol
http://www.mcmanisfamilyvineyards.com/

1 comment:

hrchick said...

BEAUTIFUL SHOES!!!! You are going to look fantastic - and won't it be nice to be with two handsome men in tuxedos,yet!!! I think you should make your entrance at the wedding with one on each arm!!! Have fun - :>)hrchick2