Thursday, February 14, 2008

Kistler Chardonnay


2005
Dutton Ranch
Russian River Valley

No. 18222

This was an excellent wine, but very expensive (if you are on a budget). This was another gem from Uncle Bob so I personally did not fork out any cash for it.

I was immediately struck with the smooth butteriness and, my personal favorite, minerality throughout and in the lingering finish. It was slightly lemonlike in flavor but with more butter and oil. I served this with "Pasta a la Passion" (Bow tie pasta with olive oil, garlic, sundried tomatoes, chicken, broccoli, basil and parmesean cheese), and the "Fish Man's" delicioso crab cakes. Excellent accompaniment to both.

I think I like the Russian River Valley for Chardonnays about as much as I like the Barossa Valley for Shiraz.

As this song hit home for me this evening driving home from work, and I sang along with it at the top of my lungs with so much emotion (zapped me right back to the '70's and made me feel all the old feelings as a kid and all the new "old" feelings as an adult), I am posting some of the lyrics here:

Whatever it is, it'll keep till the morning
Haven't we both got better things to do?
Midnight blue
Even the simple things become rough
Haven't we had enough?

And I think we can make it
One more time
If we try
One more time for all the old times . . .

Melissa Manchester

If you care, The Guy doesn't, Robert Parker gave this a 94-96 rating.

8.75 out of 10
$70 - $100 / 750 ml. bottle
14.1% alc. by vol.
http://www.kistlerwine.com/

No comments: