Friday, May 16, 2008

Marquis Philips Shiraz

2005
South Eastern Australia

Will drink again.

I loved this wine - had a very McLaren Vale Shiraz taste to it (which means I really, really liked it). I get excited when I taste a wine that reminds me of a particular region. For Shiraz's, I love the Barossa Valley and McLaren Vale. This had a distinct flavour to it - slightly smokey, tobacco cherry flavor. It was a drink alone wine. I can't remember at this point what I had for food with it - but it doesn't matter as I remember it took some of the flavour away. But it was good again later on its own - too good. I had too much. I did end up with a nasty headache the following day (which is when I paid attention to the alcohol content). I would not let this deter you from trying this wine - I had far too little to eat the entire day and then too much wine that night.

I don't suppose you'd give it a shot
Knowing all that you've got
Are cigarettes and red vines
Just close your eyes, cause, baby--
You never do know
And I'll be on the sidelines,
With my hands tied,
Watching the show

Aimee Mann, Red Vines


8.25 out of 10
$12 / 750 ml bottle
15.9% alc. by vol. (too much - be careful)

1 comment:

The guy said...

Nice shot of the blossoming tree in the background.