Monday, May 12, 2008

Behrens & Hitchcock Merlot


2003
Napa Valley
California

Would drink again.

This is not a budget wine. My aunt stopped by over the weekend on her way home from her high school reunion (while I was shuffling children to birthday parties so I'm sorry that I missed her) . She came bearing a Mother's Day gift for me - this wonderful bottle of wine. I shared it with my own mom, following a day of hiking. It was a nice way to end the day.

With a rich smokey scent, this full-bodied wine tasted more dry than sweet, with a nice smooth flavor balance of smokey cherries/plum and very little oak. The only slightly negative for me was the high alcohol content (15.2%). I think it would have been better if it was lower. But still, definitely enjoyable.

Every night that goes between
I feel a little less
As you slowly go away from me
This is only another test . . .

. . .So I try to say Goodbye my friend
I'd like to leave you with something warm
But never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm
. . .

Fleetwood Mac, Storms

8.25 out of 10
$41.99 - $55 / 750 ml. bottle (cheapest to most expensive I found on-line)
15.2% alc. by vol.
Behrens & Hitchcock Winery, St. Helena, California

No comments: