Thursday, December 24, 2009

Turley Zinfandel

2004
Howell Mountain
St. Helena, California
Dragon Vineyard

I am still in shock after coming home to discover a friend had left me two bottles of wine as a Christmas present in my absence. That, in itself, was not surprising. But the fact that one of the bottles purchased was a bottle of 2003 Shafer Cabernet Sauvignon, Stags Leap District, has me speechless. Morning can't get here fast enough for me to call him and tell him how crazy he HAS to be! I will not be drinking that anytime soon. It's good now through the next 20-25 years. I need a wine cellar now for sure as I don't want to ruin it while storing it for the right moment to eventually open it.

Regarding the Turley: this is our usual at Thanksgiving dinner. However, this year we had 3 different regions. I only have the bottles of two and I definitely know that Dragon Vineyard was my favorite. The other was a 2002 Old Vines also out of St. Helena. The third was from Paso Robles and I can't recall the vineyard. Please note: The other Turley wine was a 2002 Presenti Vineyard from Paso Robles. All three wines are a great match for turkey dinners, I just enjoyed the sweeter baking spice flavor of that from Dragon Vineyards.

The Dragon was awesome with the meal and especially pumpkin bread I'd made. With my first sip I knew it would be terrific. It smelled of baking spices: especially cloves and nutmeg and allspice. And that's exactly how it tasted too. The clove flavoring was enhanced by the pumpkin bread. It was highly enjoyable.

Oh there ain't no rest for the wicked
Money don't grow on trees
I got bills to pay
I got mouths to feed
There ain't nothing in this world for free

--Cage the Elephant--


16.0% alc. by vol.
Approx. $55 / 750 ml. bottle
8.5 out of 10

No comments: