Thursday, December 31, 2009

Chateauneuf-du-Pape

2007
Red Rhone Wine
Domaine Du Vieux Lazaret
France

67% Grenache
22% Syrah
5% Mourvedre
6% "others"

As a child, I loved the "old" Christmas Carols (Perry Como, Glenn Miller, Doris Day, the Andrew Sisters, Benny Goodman). I still do today and find it harder and harder to find any station that plays the original stuff that makes Christmas extra awesome for me.

Christmas is like a wedding - lots of planning and excitement leading up to the event, then it's all over in a whirlwind and there's this feeling of "where'd it all go"? It is truly my most favorite time of year - I LOVE presents and I love giving presents. I love the food and WINE and family gatherings that I crave so much (and never seem to have enough of).

New Year's Eve is my second most unfavorite time of year (Halloween being first). So, I found a religious radio station that continues to play Christmas Carols for 12 days after Christmas and they have been making my week this week. THIS is the week I spiral into a depression. I can't help it. But this station is playing the most awesome eclectic old stuff mixed with some real good newer stuff (think Harry Connick, Jr.) and I am slightly more happy because of it. And, thanks to receiving almost 3 cases of wine in gifts this year, I have something to look forward to every day (or at least every few days!). I just have to come up with the food pairing. We have old friends coming for dinner Saturday and we are going to new friends for the big countdown tonight. So I am hanging in there. :)

My brother brought a couple of bottles of this wine (and I miss him now), and I enjoyed it more with him here with his aged cheddar cheese. However, it was still enjoyable on its own (and with him gone home).

Although I have not previously given much value to decanting, I did buy the Guy a decanter for Christmas and we have been enjoying how the wine aroma fills the room upon doing so. Well, I was blogging after Christmas and my brother decanted this and left it in front of me and left the room. My mouth started watering and I couldn't wait for us to pour it into glasses. We had some aged cheddar with it and had an awesome afternoon together tasting the two. This wine has a stone cherry scent and flavor and is one of the few French wines I thoroughly enjoy. Not a bad value for the price.

Happy New Year.


My world is changing
I'm rearranging
Does that mean Christmas changes too?

Where are you Christmas?
Do you remember
The one you used to know?
I'm not the same one
See what the time's done.
Is that why you have let me go?

Faith Hill




8.5 out fo 10 (when served with OLD cheddar cheese)
8.0 out of 10 on its own
14.5% alc. by vol.
$17/750 ml. bottle

No comments: