Friday, July 4, 2008

Trumpeter

2006
Malbec
Argentina

Might drink again.

This was dry with a slight smoke flavor similar to a Chilean red. Black cherry flavors with some licorice and pepper and a hint of vanilla, the finish was slightly long though it was a bit bitter and it weakened out a bit at the end with a little "alcohol" taste.

We had this with turkey meatballs and bowtie pasta and it's flavor was neither detracted from nor enhanced either way. I would recommend it be served alongside a hearty grilled piece of beef and bet it's flavor would soar (as well as that of the meat).

Evening falls, and again he is there
Sitting by her in the field
Watching the sunset over the trees
Resting his arm on one propped leg
Sometimes playing with a blade of grass between his fingers
I secretly watch him from a distance
Emotions emanate from his very being
His head hangs down by his shoulder
Occasionally he stares off to the hills
Cars go by on the road, interrupting
Neighborhood dogs bark, intruding
People bike by, imposing
Still he just sits by her, oblivious to life going on around him
I quietly watch now from the other side of the field as I walk my dog
My heart aches as I think of my life in it's unbliss and look at him there, handsome and young, after all these months still devotedly by her side
They were just starting out
God! Comfort him, give him a sign, let her speak to him this time
He continues to sit by her and think, head down
Finally it is time for him to go
I am home now and watch from behind a curtain at my window, as my eyes water over
He rises up, but lingers, struggling to tear himself away from her never ending silence
He kisses the tips of his fingers, leans over and gently presses them on her gravestone, then quietly walks away

(I live across the street from a cemetery. My children and I noticed a young man regularly appearing every evening before sunset and sitting by a grave, sometimes with his dog. I was struck by his youth and devotion to whomever he was missing. I sometimes feel an unbelievable desire to go sit by him and I don't know why. One evening after he left, I went to see if it could be the grave of perhaps his mother or father. It was the grave of a 31 year old woman. I looked her name up on the internet and found out it is his wife. In a weird set of events, I found a random Email link that was posted by her husband, the man I see almost every night, letting her college friends know (who were shocked by her death) that she died unexpectedly of mitral valve prolapse in February. One day she was there, going to work, and then she was gone. What really hit home for me is her web page, for a local realty office, is still up - you can call her if you're looking for a local home. And she speaks of her husband and their dog and her picture is there, smiling broadly :( She was beautiful.)




7.75 out of 10
$10.99 / 750 ml. bottle

13.5% alc. by vol.

1 comment:

mimi said...

What a beautiful poem! Your description is so moving. Heartbreaking!