Monday, December 3, 2007

Callaway Viognier and Dutton Ranch Chardonnay

Viognier on left Chardonnay on right

2000
Callaway Coastal Reserve
Viognier


Won't buy again, will drink what I have and try to pair with other food.

Today was my birthday and I wanted to review my birthday wines even though I know I still have much Thanksgiving coverage and followup to do. In addition, my mom had dinner for me last night and I have two reds to review at a later date.

Today was depressing (my birthday always seems to get me down - another year older and not any farther ahead) and it was just a regular day filled with too much to do. But, I knew tonight after I put the kids to bed, I was going to have a late dinner of Butternut Squash Soup and Baked Brie En Croute with cranberries and almonds. I knew I was going to splurge on a white wine as a birthday gift to myself to accompany my little menu. I just couldn't decide what variety. So I bought two, splurging on one more than the other, and conducted a little taste test with "The Guy". I am reviewing both here beginning with the Viognier:

Disappointing. Very light scent of mustard and lighter color than I expected. It was a pale yellow rather than a nice golden. It was reminiscent of a generic Sauvignon Blanc. Not a lot of flavor. Not much of a finish. I tasted no apricot or peach like the label boasts. It was slightly citrusy with a slight mustard finish. End of story. Any flavor was completely lost with the brie. It retained it's flavor with the soup. I'm afraid it may be headache material. The Guy liked it better than the Chardonnay.

7.0 out of 10
14.5% alc. by vol.
$16.99 per 750 ml. bottle
http://www.callawaycoastal.com/

1999
Dutton Ranch, Russian River Valley
Fritz Winery
Chardonnay

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME! Will happily drink again.

This was also a pale yellow, and it's scent was similar to the Viognier - light and mustardy with a little overcooked broccoli thrown in (I don't know what it is with me always finding broccoli in the wine), and slight stone. But the taste, oh the taste, taste, taste. It was divine. It's what I love in a Chardonnay. It was creamy vanilla, slight toasted oak and . . . my favorite . . . minerality in the finish, and stone. Very, very good. While it also could not stand up to the brie, it's flavor was accentuated following the Butternut Squash soup - nice pairing. (The cranberries in the brie were extremely tart and took over all other flavor on the palate.)

I have been reading a lot about Russian River Valley Chardonnays and was so glad to finally try one, and enjoy it as I did.

Side Note: "The Guy" insisted I have a sip of "Fonseca Bin No. 27" Port following a glass of my Chardonnay. He said the two go well together. He was right. Forget dinner. Pair your wine with Port.

8.25 out of 10
14.2% alc. by vol.
$22.99 / 750 ml. bottle
http://www.fritzwinery.com/

Another year older and I find myself even more unlike my original hero, Florence Nightingale, and all too much like Lemony Snicket. Here are my B'Day reflections:
Searching for Solace,
Within Humility.
Needing to begin again,
To recover Dignity.
Plagued by nightmares,
Willing they not become real.
Finding truth and love intangible,
Under the mask of Illusion.
Longing to finally Heal.

No comments: