Sunday, December 16, 2007

Layer Cake Shiraz



2006
Layer Cake Shiraz
Barossa Valley
South Australia


I will drink this again.

Well, I'd been hearing about the "Layer Cake" since the summer and have been looking for it everywhere. Everyone always said the same thing "Oh, it's awesome. I have none here, but more on order." After a few months, I stopped looking for it, even forgot about it. Then, last week, I walked into a recent favorite place of mine after work and there it was! Right smack in front as I walked in the door. He's got three cases, "while supplies last." And he's about $5 cheaper per bottle than elsewhere.

So, after all the hype and looking forward to it, I was disappointed. It smelled great - very fruity, yet spicey. I couldn't wait to have a sip. It tasted of black cherry and black pepper, then alcohol, followed by a warm finish. But it wasn't as tasteworthy as I'd expected. I had it with no food accompaniment.

I saved the rest for a couple of days and I have to say it was better. Interestingly enough, it tasted like my grandmother's house. Not too likely that anyone else will share this experience. My paternal grandparents had the best holiday gatherings. There were usually friends as well as family invited and my grandmother made the best curry dip with vegetables. At six years old, I would inhale her curry dip slathered on fresh broccoli. In addition, my grandfather's, and my own, favorite cheese was Muenster. That on a stoned wheat cracker was fabulous. They had a dry sink located under a fantastic painting of a train winding down hills into a quaint village - the colors were mostly golden as I recall. Very warm and happy. I LOVED that painting. I would stare at it every time we were there. The painting felt like HOME to me. Anyway, my grandfather loved his fine Scotch and he would pour a rocks glass of it along with his appetizers. My first glass of Layer Cake tonight, without food, tasted like all of that together and it was heavenly.

My second glass was from a new bottle that I opened up for a couple of hours before drinking. I tasted more of an earthy and almost chocolate finish. Then I had it with dinner tonight - roasted pork loin with sweet onion, garlic and cumin, and roasted sweet potatoes. It was a great pairing. The flavors of both were accentuated by the other. I also later had a glass with a fresh, warm chocolate crackle cookie and it brought out the slightly chocolate flavor I'd tasted earlier in the wine.

I am waiting in a silent prayer
I am frightened by the load I bear
In a world as cold as stone
Must I walk this path alone
Be with me now
Be with me now

Breath of Heaven / Mary's Song
Amy Grant, Chris Eaton, Robert Marshal
1992

8.0 out of 10
14.9% by vol.
$15.99 / 750 ml bottle

No comments: