Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The Ball Buster


2005
Tait
Barossa Valley

Will drink again.

Well, I brought this wine home tonight for The Guy partially as a joke because he's always accusing me of "busting his balls". The vineyard owner writes on the back that he wanted to name this wine "Michelle's Block" after his wife but decided against it. When I was in the store I thought to myself that The Guy would probably find it apropos for it to be named after me.

Well, irony of ironies, I "busted" on The Guy that our Christmas tree (that he did go and get over the weekend) was still on our back porch, and I wanted it inside by now. When it became evident that he wasn't going to bring it in for me tonight, I went out and took matters into my own hands and started sawing off the bottom branches in preparation. He came out to take over, frustrated that I couldn't wait, and started sawing away, right over his thumb and part way through his pointer finger. Nothing a trip to the ER and several stiches couldn't fix. He's fine, but feeling a bit of pain now. I feel bad. I do. Actually.

The scent of this deep purple hued wine was meaty and alcohol for me.The flavor was very fruity and peppery, followed by a high alcohol taste and then blackberry Schnapps-like flavor. I liked it in spite of the high alcohol effect.

"There's a happy feeling nothing in the world can buy,
When they pass around the chocolate and the pumpkin pie
It'll nearly be like a picture print by Currier and Ives
These wonderful things are the things we remember all through our lives"

Leroy Anderson, 1946, Sleigh Ride
(Actually written during a heat wave in August 1946)

SIDE NOTE: The picture at our house last night was looking less like a Currier and Ives print and more like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

8.0 out of 10
$15.99 / 750 ml bottle
15.5% alc. by vol.
http://www.taitwines.com.au/

1 comment:

PasaRoblesCab said...

I just finished up a bottle of Gnarley Head from yesterday and was trying to figure out what would be next. I am saving myself for the Holiday weekend to open the BV Gorge De Lature' I think I have been more excited for Christmas because of this reason..... Anyway back to the point. The case of Ball Buster has been sitting on the racks for a while, probably about a year and a half. It is actually the beginnig of my real interest in wine. It started out with y sister-in-law calling to say her "wine guy" told her it was his last case and it will probably be gone soon. She then called to tell me "go buy it and put it away" so...... I did and the rest is history. I am probably more looking forward to drinking the wine I have acumulated over the last 18 months not to catch a buzz but to have something to look forward to and have something in common with business associates and clients. I really enjoy deciphering smells tasted etc. So back to the Ball Buster. I "screwed open" the cap, and I can remember opening the case as a novice wine buyer thinking "a f*@king crew top?" I got ripped off. Well we all know the story behind tyhe screw top and remember you and "The Guys" brother / brother-in laws comments about the screw top .... Anyway back to the Ball Buster, I, for a change opened the bottle, I have had, in the recent past been burned by a few Australian Shiraz's, Molly Duker "The Boxer" was horrid for a Jammy fruit forward Zin guy like me. Well I was pleasantly surprised with the Ball Buster, I caught a Toasty, bready,nose up front and the first taste was a quick berry, then spicy hot, and a neat creamy finish. Certinly not MY favorite, but a great wine at a great price. i will probably get another few bottle to lay down for next year, the price point is right and I hear Australia is only going up.
Chow for Now , Pasa Robles (Zin) Cab......