Sunday, November 1, 2009

Phantom

2006
Bogle Vineyards
California

A blend of Petite Sirah, Old Vine Zin & Old Vine Mourvedre - I just LOVE saying that word!!! MOURVEDRE (more-vay-drrruh)

Well, the night started off well enough. Halloween. My most not favorite night of the year. I was looking forward to it ending and pouring myself a glass of phantom (something I was hoping to make a Halloween tradition actually).

Each of my children desired to be at someone else's house and I was taxi driver. I eventually got into it though and even dressed up for my little one. We matched. And we stayed together. The first song that came on the radio as I started driving was my old favorite, Donovan's Season of the Witch. And I thought: this is going to be a great night.

I was ending the evening at a party where my oldest daughter was and couldn't wait to get there. However, I was tired and it was pouring and I was the only one dressed up and I was given a glass of Little Penguin Merlot upon my arrival there. Hah! I deserved that. I wrote not that long ago about it being a decent wine for the price. It was the last thing I wanted. I'd brought a Cab with me and didn't know how to tactfully request that it be opened instead! I caught up with some old friends that were unexpectedly there and had a few laughs and then headed home minus my daughter who randomly wanted to go to her friend's house for the night with another friend. I drove home in the pouring rain after getting pelted by acorns and felt the beginning of a bad headache. Damn that Little Penguin! I got home and went to bed, without any desire to visit with the phantom. So much for my "new" tradition.

Finally, the next day, after taking the dog for a workout and raking leaves for a couple of hours, I opened the phantom and watched the sun go down across the field. The scent of the wine had that wonderful "stone" characteristic to it - I've likened it previously to the scent of rocks baking in the sun. And a strong scent of cherry was mixed in.

Initial taste was rather chalky but it opened up to a black pepper creosote followed by a smooth rather quick finish. I liked it, it was better after sitting open for a bit, but I was disappointed as the 2004 was rather awesome two years ago. In case you don't know, Bogle releases the phantom each year around August's end and then it's done until the following year. It always comes out in time for fall, and Halloween appropriately. I totally missed last year's 2005 production and decided to make a point going forward of getting it for Halloween evening. The 2004 had an awesome smoke flavor to it. There was only a hint of that this time around. Still a good wine - it might be better in a few months time. I will now look forward to next year.







Carving the pumpkins.





Preparing the seeds for roasting.


Me and my sunshine.



Oh when I look over my shoulder
What do you think I see?
Some other cat looking over
His shoulder at me
And he's strange, sure he's strange
You've got to pick up every stitch
You've got to pick up every stitch, yeah
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch
Must be the season of the witch, yeah
Must be the season of the witch.

Donovan, Season of the Witch


8.0 out of 10
14.5% alc. by vol.
$19 / 750 ml. bottle

No comments: