Monday, October 26, 2009

Opolo Merlot Reserve

2006
Paso Robles, CA

The scent of this reminded me very much of Tawny Port meets Kalamata Olive. The taste was like a Robitussin cherry mushroom with a bit of earth mixed in. I do not wish to insinuate that this wine tasted like cough medicine with my reference to Robitussin. As a child, I very much enjoyed the taste of Robitussin and therefore, the slight reminder this wine brought forth was a characteristic I liked.

The finish was dry yet had a smooth, lingering, warm, slight spice flavor. This was very good. It was a nice and welcome change from the usual.

Oh Lover, hold on
'till I come back again
For these arms are growin' tired,
And my tales are wearing thin

If you're patient I will surprise,
When you wake up i'll have come

All the anger will settle down
And we'll go do all the things we should have done

Rachael Yamagata / Duet (with Ray LaMontagne)

8.5 out of 10
Approx. $24 / 750 ml. bottle? (can't buy easily)
14.8% alc. by vol.

No comments: