Saturday, November 21, 2009

Morgon Beaujolais

2007
France
Georges Duboeuf (Blah!)

I apologize to any Georges Duboeuf fans out there. But, had I really looked at the label, I wouldn't have purchased it. I have never had a Georges Duboeuf wine I've liked. Once again, the French wines just don't have enough substance to keep me interested. This was weak, watery, uninteresting.That said, I am sure there is a "right" pairing out there somwhere for this Beaujolais, just not my dinner tonight.

I told the guy at the counter I was making grilled crab cakes and tuna. I was looking (as I always am damn it!) for an Albarino (come rescue me SPAIN!!!!!!). THIS was what was recommended. I decided against it, walked around some more. Didn't see ANYTHING interesting and went back to this. I didn't even study the label. I completely trusted the young, eager fellow behind the counter (he looked more like a Budweiser connosieur to me).

I didn't think the Beaujolais would be a good accompaniment to the crab cakes, but I thought there was a chance it would work with the tuna. But the tuna was nice and meaty like a steak would be and I prefer a full-bodied wine with a hearty piece of meat or fish, not something light.
Luckily, I had a Kendall Jackson Vintner's Reserve Chardonnay, 2008 on hand. The KJ was excellent with the crab cakes, as I expected. It tasted good with the tuna too, at least much better than the Morgon. But it was still no Albarino. :(

I am putting all my trust and hopes into next week. The Bro and Uncle Bob will hopefully save me. It is Thanksgiving, my favorite time of year and I am just in a complete funk. I am sadly thinking I need to find a non-budget wine to be happy. I know, intellectually, that I don't have to spend a lot to be pleased. But I also know I don't have a lot of time to shop around for a great bargain. I need a pleasant change.

Ironically, as I have not been partaking in any wine, the Morgon actually gave me a slight "buzz" after one half tumbler. Oh!!! I bought The Guy a couple of Reidel Merlot tumblers. I have always loved them. I bought some for The Bro for Christmas a couple of years ago and always wanted some myself. They are just awesome. I love wine glasses and their wonderful stems. But there is also something very beautiful about a well made tumbler too. :)


I toss and turn like the sea
If I drown tonight bring me back to life
Breathe your breath in me


Shinedown





6 out of 10
13% alc. by vol.
$15 / 750 ML bottle

No comments: