Friday, April 17, 2009

Foxen Cuvee


2006
Cuvee Jeanne Marie
Williamson-Dore Vineyard
Santa Ynez Valley, CA

I SO LOVED THIS WINE!!!!!!!! An awesome blend of 60% Grenache, 25% Syrah and 15% Mourvedre, this was, by far, my favorite wine of many this Easter. As a matter of fact, so far, in 2009, this IS my favorite wine of the year. It will definitely be on my 2009 top list at the end of the year. This was so good I had to skip all the other wines I've tried this last week and just get this posted.

Foxen tasted fantastic on its own, and with our Easter meal. My brother and I were uncertain as to what wine we should have with our mom's herb-roasted pork roast. We had a French syrah, an Italian red and this Cuvee left to bring. We brought the Cuvee and had the French with appetizers (which BTW was good - later review).

Upon first mouth full, I exclaimed that it was surprisingly "sweet". After a few minutes I was able to isolate that sweetness as more of a spicy CLOVE. Awesome. It was slightly smokey, baking spice sweet, and very smooth. I so want a case!! But this was my brother's budget, not mine! It's not cheap. I definitely hope to buy some before the end of this year. HIGHLY recommend it!! It was full-bodied and I think would accompany red meats or "out-of-the-ordinary" meats well. Probably would be awesome with grilled red meat.

You will notice below the higher than usual alcohol content - I would have never known it. My brother and I were amazed that we weren't snockered. It was oh so smooth and tasty.

9.0 out of 10
$37 / 750 ml bottle
15.7% alc. by vol.

No comments: