Tuesday, April 17, 2007

DOGAJOLO Sangiovese

Would not normally try again, but . . .

DOGAJOLO
Dry Red Table Wine of Tuscany
80% Sangiovese, 20% Cabarnet Sauvignon
2005

This was my first Sangiovese (pronounced "san-jo-VAY-zay"). It probably was not the best one to start with. It was way too dry for my tastes. It got me in the gizzards from the first mouthful. But its initial bouquet made my mouth water for beef burgundy (and I do not typically eat red meat). I normally wouldn't try this particular label again, but a Sangiovese is recommended on the "Wine Lover's" diet (we are semi-following) with the "Tuscan Beef Stew" recipe. I will buy Dogajolo again when I make the stew so I can see what a difference the "right" food pairing might make with this label - see if I can raise it from 5.5 out of 10 to anything at all higher. If it's still not good, I will buy a bottle of 2001 Antinoro Sangiovese Santa Cristina to give Sangiovese in general another try.

Carpineto S.N.C.
Greve in Chianti
Italy
$10.99 / bottle
www.carpineto.com

No comments: