Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Velvet Devil

2008
Merlot
Washington State

I am not a huge fan of Washington State wines, though I continue to try to be. Some vintages of Columbia Crest merlots and chardonnays have caught my attention and I have enjoyed a few of them for the price. But every now and then I like to pick up another vineyard whose wine I haven't tried. The Guy brought this one home last night and I liked it enough to go look up the winery and thoroughly enjoyed everything I could find on Charles Smith, and loved his no-nonsense blog. I very much intend to give his 2006 Royal City Syrah a try hopefully one day soon (not current budget friendly, but I am totally intrigued).

Washington State merlots I sometimes feel I could blind taste-test. Though many have potential, I usually find them a bit weak in taste. This one was a little different, however, and I did enjoy it. With its hints of dark chocolate cherry flavor and herbs, I will seek it out again.

"It's just booze - drink it!"
Charles Smith

kvintners.blogspot.com

8.0 out of 10
$11 / 750 ml. bottle
13.5% alc. by vol.

No comments: