Monday, March 22, 2010

The Chocolate Block

2008
South Africa
69% Syrah /12% Grenache / 10% Cabernet Sauvignon / 7% Cinsault / 2% Viognier

I have posted previously on The Chocolate Block - in December. However, I posted on the 2007.
BIG DIFFERENCE between the 2007 and 2008. I am not too fond of this one. Needs more time I guess.
It is AMAZING to me the difference a year makes. It just goes to show you how volatile wine-making
can be. Each year provides a different taste. It's really intriguing. And sometimes disappointing.
My brother bought a bottle of 2007 in December and we enjoyed it while watching the movie Bottle Shock.
BIG difference in price (almost $20 more for the 2007), but a BIG difference in taste too.

I came home from a SOAKING wet walk with my Gfriend to find The Guy had purchased a bottle of this
and left it on the counter. I was pretty happy to see it. Until I saw the vintage. However, I have not
previously yet tried the 2008 so I tried to have an open mind. :( I am sorry to report that it just wasn't
near as good as the 2007. This one was extremely dry with little distinguishing flavor. It packed a punch,
and wasn't bad, it just wasn't what I was expecting.


There's indecision when you
Know you ain't got nothing left
when the good times never stay
And the cheap thrills always
seem to fade away
When will we
When will we fall down
Jump back, got to get out of here
been too long this time

--Toad the Wet Sprocket--


7.50 out of 10
$17 / 750 ml. bottle
(I was unable to find the alcohol content!!)

No comments: