Friday, December 12, 2008

Passing Clouds

2004
Reserve Shiraz
Bendigo
Australia

This is just a real quick recommendation based on this wine I brought home tonight. It was really, really good. But I think it will be awesome with some brief cellar time. It is recommended to drink now through 2010-2012, with it most likely being magnificent in the latter range.

I was very excited to taste my first mint experience in a red. Passing Clouds has a wonderful smoky scent. It is a full-bodied multi-berry, woodsy-oak, with hints of vanilla and mint. It's a bit tart on the finish, which is where I think the most improvement will be with a couple more years. I think its potential finish will be velvet.

Although it is not a budget wine, the flavor is there and I truly believe if you purchase it now and save it a bit, it will be a great buy in the short-term long run (when the price goes up and you've already got it unopened and only improving with age).

Very good on its own, it is recommended as an accompaniment to red meat.

Robert Parker gave this a 91 rating.

I end with a favorite song excerpt from one of my very favorite adult alternative voices, Joshua Radin.

. . . But I look at you, warm in your dream
While your mobile dances above
And I think to myself
It's a beautiful night
And I know everything
Is gonna be alright
Yes now I know
It'll be alright


Joshua Radin
Everything'll Be Alright (Will's Lullaby)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0cSev4R5rs&feature=related

8.5 out of 10
15% alc. by vol.
$24 / 750 ml bottle

No comments: