Tuesday, December 23, 2008

EARTHQUAKE CAB


2003
LODI Appellation
California

Not a budget wine - Holiday SPLURGE.

WISHING YOU ALL A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS - OR AT LEAST A MOVING REVELATION

Check out my Christmas wine list on the left. My dear brother is home for Christmas and we went wine shopping tonight. It was so incredibly fun to go into a wine store and, each of us with our baskets, load up. We perused each aisle carefully, commenting to one another from across the room, occasionally asking advice of the "salesman", weighing our options, the menu, the days ahead and selecting. A cherished memory for the back of my mind. :)

The Bro purchased Earthquake Cab for tonight and we decided, as it was late, to just buy hors d'oeuvres for dinner. We had spanakopita (spinach and feta cheese in phyllo), beef wrapped in bacon and scallops wrapped in bacon. I tried each, but stuck with the spanakopita as the scallops were not good accompanied by the wine, and beef isn't my thing, and bacon is just TROUBLE. The Earthquake was good with the beef, and the spanakopita. As may have been guessed, the scallops were not good with the wine.

On it's own, the wine's scent was intoxicating for me. I could have hovered over it forever in bliss. Upon initial tasting, I immediately tasted eucalyptus. It later tasted smokey, jammy and peppery (more peppery with the beef). I enjoyed it immensely.



$32 / 750 bottle
8.25 out of 10
15.5% alc. by vol.

No comments: