Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Riesling - The "Liasion Dangereuse"

Pacific Rim Dry Riesling
2005 Harvest
Cost: $10.99 / bottle

Would Buy Again

I am going back a bit to my Riesling experience on March 17th - it is the same wine The Guy complained did not well accompany his Chinese spare ribs. I had a different experience.

It was my eldest daughter's wish to have Chinese food for her birthday dinner. I knew I didn't have a red that I was willing to sacrifice on chicken fingers and lo mein. I visited Bob, my favorite wine shop's owner, and winced as I asked him for a wine recommendation for Chinese food (I totally felt as if I were asking him what goes well with a Big Mac). He said he actually did have something and he produced the dreaded Riesling.

I enjoy Chardonnay and Pinot Grigio on occasion, especially during the summer. But I've never been fond of Rieslings (once, Unce Bob did sway my opinion for a day when he paired it with prosciutto and melon). All too often, they are too sweet and syrupy for my taste. And before half a glass is gone, I usually have a headache.

I don't know if it was the intriguing bottle artistry, or the connection I felt with one of the clever random thoughts listed on the back of the bottle, but this particular Riesling I enjoyed. It accompanied my favorite menu item of cold sesame noodles very nicely. I hate to use the number scale yet again, but I would (also yet again) give it a 7 out of 10.

To quote the part of the bottle that spoke to me : " . . . We crave the strange and mysterious, knowing well our heart's unshakable allegiance to the familiar, the heimlich."

This Pacific Rim Dry Riesling is a blend of reislings from eastern Washington State and the Middle Mosel. Do YOU know where the Middle Mosel is? I, shamefully enough, did not until I came across Howard G. Goldberg's article in the "New York Times" Travel section, entitled: "FARE OF THE COUNTRY; Along the Mosel River, Riesling's Domain." And I quote from his piece the following:

"The middle Mosel Valley is no Napa Valley -- no glitz, no hyperbole, few showpiece high-tech wineries, no upbeat tour guides. Wine is a cottage industry; pizazz in tasting rooms amounts to antlers on the walls, obligatory half-timbered ceilings and klutzy stemware.

But visitors to this riesling heaven can uncork white 1988's, 89's and 90's that may linger in memory for years. These splendid back-to-back vintages, a rarity in a northern wine country where the climate typically scatters no more than three good vintages across a decade, have riveted wine lovers' attention on Germany."

Bonny Doon Vineyard
Santa Cruz, CA
www.bonnydoonvineyard.com

No comments: