Wednesday, November 16, 2011

the Dreaming Tree; Crush


2009
Red Wine
North Coast, California


A blend of Merlot and Zin, this was not what I was hoping it would be. A collaboration of winemaker Steve Reeder and Dave Matthews, Dave should maybe stick with his songwriting and singing. It was not bad - it's just, for the price, I expected more. I've had better for less.

The description on the bottle hints there is some smoky berry-ness, but it just isn't as dream-worthy as the label makes it out to be. There is definite berry and slight smokiness, which means there is potential, but it was a bit flat, a bit thin, and lacking general ooomph. I would have priced this at $8.99/750 ml. bottle. But, it appears to be a designer label alone.

Honestly, I think it just needs a little more of what we all need: TIME. How long, I'm not sure.

So, my eldest daughter told me awhile ago that there is this new song that a few people have told her reminds them of her, but she didn't know the specifics of it other than she keeps hearing it and it is about someone dying young and it was making her nervous that so many thought of her. Shortly after our conversation, I kept hearing a song that I liked a lot, and it reminded me of her, though I didn't really listen to the words until one day when I did and it suddenly clicked that the song I kept hearing must be the same song that reminds others of her. The lyrics now slay me whenever I hear it and my eyes spill over. However, I believe that because my daughter is 16, and pretty, and just starting out having met someone special, and she sings beautifully, and dresses up a lot, and she writes, sings, and plays love songs on her guitar, and she isn't sure of her belief in God but she knows its my greatest hope for her, there really is no question why we think of her with this song.

Lord make me a rainbow, I'll shine down on my mother
She'll know I'm safe with you when she stands under my colors, oh and
Life ain't always what you think it ought to be, no
Ain't even grey, but she buries her baby

The sharp knife of a short life, well
I've had, just enough time

If I die young, bury me in satin
Lay me down on a, bed of roses
Sink me in the river, at dawn
Send me away with the words of a love song

The sharp knife of a short life, oh well
I've had just enough time

And I'll be wearing white when I come into Your Kingdom
I'm as green as the ring on my little cold finger,
I've never known the loving of a man
But it sure felt nice when he was holdin' my hand
there's a boy here in town says that he'll love me forever
Whoever thought forever could be severed by

The sharp knife of a short life oh Well,
I've had just enough time

...So put on your best boys,
and I'll wear my pearls . . .

--The Band Perry--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NJqUN9TClM

7.5 out of 10
$14.99/750 ml bottle
13.5% alc. by vol.
DreamingTreeWines.com

No comments: