Sunday, January 24, 2010

Tobin James Syrah

2006
Blue Moon Reserve
Paso Robles, CA




I'm sorry for apologizing yet again for another non-budget wine. I LOVED this wine. But I don't think I would pay the $150 price tag for it on my own. It was oh so fantastically SMOKEY. NICE distinctive flavor and finish. Great with dark chocolate.

I am on an elimination diet and have done well until tonight. My doc told me I could afford one or two nights during my (30) days to go slightly astray. Tonight was the night. But I've had too much. This has been a totally tough week for me. I immersed myself in old movies and LOVED "Night and Day" (the Cole Porter story) with Cary Grant. It helps (sometimes) to go back to a simpler time of romance and life.

Anyway, we had some good wine and food pairings tonight with some friends. And, when I shouldn't have had anymore, the Tobin James Blue Moon Reserve was opened up and I enjoyed it immensely. I would have enojoyed more but my little one (who was at a sleepover) got homesick and needed to be picked up.

This is a distinctive, delicious wine if you've got $ to blow. Mussels are the recommended accompaniment for this wine. I've got a great Gourmet magazine recipe that includes garlic, organic chicken broth, white wine and chicken flavored stuffing mix and fresh parsley that might be awesome with this wine (maybe just replace the recipe's white wine with the red).

Defense is paper thin
Just one touch and I'll be in
Too deep now to ever swim against the current

So let me slip away, so let me slip away
So let me slip away, let me slip against the current
so let me slip away, so let me slip away
so let me slip away, so let me slip away

Vindicated, I am selfish, I am wrong, I am right
I swear I'm right, swearI knew it all along
And I am flawed, but I am cleaning up so well

--Dashboard Confessionals--

$150 / 750 ml. bottle
8.75 out of 10
15.8% alc. by vol.

No comments: