Saturday, September 6, 2008

Valckenberg Gewurztraminer


2006
Germany


Would drink again.

The Bro
was here for Labor Day weekend and birthday celebrations. He came with (4) reds and (4) whites. He is not a white wine lover, but he went out on a limb and gave them his best attention. He did not leave a white wine lover, but we did have fun.

I really enjoyed this Gewurztraminer though he did not, nor did
The Guy. The Bro's biggest complaint was that he likes a wine he can enjoy on its own without requiring food to enhance the flavor. This wine was on the sweeter side, which was no surprise to me, but it didn't go over well with The Bro or The Guy. We had it with grilled marinated chicken breast, roasted garlic and pecan grains, and broccoli and carrot slaw. I thought it accompanied the tangy flavors of the meal well. And I felt the meal brought out the best in the wine.

Nutmeg, peach and an undisclosed floral scent and flavor. This was my first floral wine experience and I liked it. This wine is flavorful and right on with the budget. Low in alcohol content, it's enjoyable well-chilled on a warm summer day, especially following a LONG hike and you won't get hammered after a couple of glasses.


8.0 out of 10
$10 / 750 ml bottle

10.5% alc. by vol.



Rain it on down.

What else can you throw at me
I haven't heard before?
And tear me on down.
I am unforgivable.

So why don't you just tell me

What you really think of me?
And scream me on down
I am so forgettable

Yes, I know.

And shoot me on down
Don't you think this isn't killing me?

But it's no more than I deserve.


I don't care what you call me.

Because it won't hurt any more.

David Ford / I Don't Care What You Call Me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybt26QmzZ6U

No comments: