Friday, February 17, 2012

Opolo Mountain Zinfandel


2010
Paso Robles


Valentines Day is not about love and romance - it is about . . . wine and chocolate. :) The Guy brought home this gift. It was a welcome relief from some of the few and far betweens we've had more recently. It smelled of strawberries and olives. The initial taste was actually grapey before I swallowed it. I have only had unimpressive wines that tasted like grapes so I was very worried. But as I held it and rolled it (do not go there - this is truly innocent) it began to warm and an intense, full-bodied, heavy weighted minerality took over. By the time I swallowed the first sip, it had taken on a Blackberry Shnapps flavor but with great intensity and peppery heat. It ended with a lasting, spice finish. It was very good. I have frequently heard of Red Zins being called "jammy" and I've got to say this is the actual first time I've experienced such an incredible, wonderful jamminess.


It's empty in the valley of your heart
The sun, it rises slowly as you walk
Away from all the fears and faults
You've left behind

Mumford & Sons, The Cave


***ON DECK: BREMERTON SELKIRK SHIRAZ, 2006****


8.5 out of 10
16.7 alc. by vol.
$18.99 - 24.99 / 750 ml. bottle

No comments: