Friday, May 21, 2010

Sangre de Toro

2007
Rose
Spain

I wanted something chilled, but not beer, and I didn't want my usual summer Chardonnay. I was making black bean and guacamole tacos. So I wanted something that could stand up to strong flavors without canceling each other out. I decided on a cheap Spanish Rose.

I brought it home and chilled it and then had a glass while cooking dinner. It was OK. Not bad. Just not great. No knocking off of the socks. As I mashed avocados for my guacamole, I ate a slice of avocado. I then had a sip of the wine, and THEN I smiled. NICE combo. I put sliced fresh hot red peppers in the guacamole and found a sip of the wine really brought out the pepper in the meal as well. Later, way after the tacos, when cleaning up the kitchen, I had a spoonful of organic ground turkey that had been sauteed in olive oil and red onion and had another sip of wine and had another smile. Really good accompaniment.

The really nice part is you get your own little plastic toy BULL (Toro) attached to each bottle of Sangre de Toro! It was like when I was a kid and I chose the box of cereal by the prize inside. Oh, but THIS wine has a bull attached to it! Every girls dream come true.


7.75 out of 10
13% alc. by vol.
$9 / 750 ml. bottle

1 comment:

ShannonFelder said...

Check out this blog to share your favorite wines and food pairings: www.palmbeachfoodandwinefestival.com