Friday, November 6, 2009

Montepulciano d'Abruzzo


2006
La Valentina
Italy

**See update below for additional food pairing**


I was at a restaurant the other night and I had a glass of a Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, but not La Valentina. I never did get any further info on it. But it was excellent alone, with calamari and with pizza Caprese. I went to my local wine store this weekend actually looking for a pinot noir to accompany some organic chicken soup I was making a big pot of. I had to walk past the Italian section on my way over to pinot noir. As I walked past I remembered the wine I had and decided to look at the labels, thinking it would be cool if they had a bottle, highly doubting that they would. In fact, they did, only it was the La Valentina versus the other that I can't recall. So I bought it anyway because the other was so good.

This was good. The other was better, but I would buy this one again. I feel like the other was more full. This was more medium bodied, but it was smooth, with black cherry and herb flavors. I made a hearty lean turkey and black bean stew this evening and I added this to it and also had a glass with my meal. They were very good together.

I have found another Italian red that I like very much.

**UPDATE: The Montepulciano was excellent with leftover organic chicken soup.




I go about my business, I'm doing fine
Besides what would I say if I had you on the line
Same old story, not much to say
Hearts are broken, everyday.

Jewel




8.0 out of 10
13.5% alc. by vol.
$14 / 750 ml. bottle

No comments: