Saturday, November 17, 2007

Thanksgiving Wine and Chateau Ste. Michelle Gewurztraminer


2006
Columbia Valley
Washington State

Will drink again.

See Thanksgiving wine discussion below.

This was the first time I tried Gewurztraminer. I didn't really care for it the first night I had it. It was reminiscent of cider at first, then some citrus flavor came through in a light finish. But I really enjoyed it more last night with dinner. I had it alone and with dinner (I can't remember what I made but I think it was chicken of some sort) the first night and wasn't that impressed with it. At that point I decided I'd probably not purchase it again.

But accompanying last night's dinner it was a different story. I noticed more fruit and less bite - pear with a little nutmeg or similar spice. I sauteed shrimp in sesame oil with garlic and put that over brown rice. I had a cesaer salad (with garlic croutons) and a pumpkin muffin that I'd made the day before. It was SO good with dinner, especially following the pumpkin muffin, leading me to believe that this might be a good Thanksgiving wine with the sweetness of many traditional recipes served (in our house it's parsnips and carrots, sweet potatoes, acorn squash, cranberry sauce, etc.). I think a much drier wine would be completely drowned out by all the sweetness.

Speaking of Thanksgiving: What to drink? Thanksgiving is the biggest wine drinking day of the year. Researching this very subject I found the more popular wines served are Beaujolais Noveau for red and Reisling for white. The biggest reason for this combo is the typical diversity of the meal itself. So many different dishes are served in various households. But a large part of the meal is associated with the sweeter tasting foods. Reisling goes well with sweeter dishes, as well as salty - and Thanksgiving dinner also tends to have a lot of natural saltiness. Beaujolais is a lighter red and therefore better accompanies many of the lighter dishes served (mashed potatoes, turkey, and stuffing though heavy weightwise, are on the lighter side of flavor intensity). A heavier cab might be wasted on such foods.

Personally, I haven't found a Beaujolais I really like. And, the Noveaus conveniently come out just around Thanksgiving, so from a marketing perspective, it makes sense it's the "recommended" Thanksgiving accompaniment.

In the past, my uncle has traditionally brought Reisling and Sauvignon Blanc before dinner, Pinot Noir and Red Zinfandel with the main meal, and Port with dessert (especially Pumpkin Pie). It's always been a good pick no matter what. This year, sadly, he won't be coming. When I found out there was a chance he wouldn't be coming, I set out on determining what I would serve. I had decided on Chardonnay, Gewurztraminer and a Pinot Noir or Syrah. Tonight I received an E-mail from my aunt that my uncle wishes to forward a wine selection in his absence. I will have some of my own wine on hand, but I can't wait to see what he sends and write about what I ultimately serve. Stay tuned.

Interesting Fact: Beer is actually the best accompaniment to Thanksgiving dinner and was the drink of choice at Thanksgiving tables of long ago.

BOTTOM LINE RECOMMENDATION: Drink what YOU like best.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING

Candlight flickers and glows,
heads bowed for grace.
Toasts are made,
as the wine freely flows.

Sweet, savory food in abundance,
dances on the tongue.
Dishes passed amongst laughter and smiles,
later the first Christmas Carols will be sung.

It is my favorite time of year,
families and friends gathering, warm fires burning,
Thanksgiving is once again here.

7.75 out of 10
$8.99 / 750 ml
12.5% alc. by vol.
http://www.ste-michelle.com/



No comments: