Thursday, March 29, 2007

Red. - 2002 Red Table Wine

Thursday, March 29, 2007
Red.
North Coast Red Table Wine
2002
Cost: $14.99/bottle NOTE: 1 liter size

Would Definitely Buy Again

As I peruse my local wine shop, I am lately aware of a small little black jug of wine simply called “Red.” I pass it by each week. Tonight I wanted a wine to accompany a very simple, albeit cheap, supper of rotini with spinach, garlic and tomato sauce.

After reading labels and looking at written reviews and recommendations, I was still undecided. The shop owner asked me if I’d like help. I told him my menu and asked if he had a suggestion. He said “Now, don’t laugh at me, but I’m going to take you over here to this little jug.” There it was. The little black “Red.” jug.

I must admit my heart sank, especially when I saw the screw-on cap! No way! I’m not buying that! All these thoughts ran through my head. Then I found myself thinking about the curiosity I felt briefly each week as I passed it by. I listened to the shop owner tell me that Martin Ray Winery puts out some decent stuff and he was hesitant when he was first introduced to the little jug himself. He had it with pizza and thought it was perfect. Because I was having a marinara sauce with my pasta, he made a calculated guess and thought it might be a match.

I was told to bring "Red." home, pour a glass and bring it back for my money if I didn’t like it. What did I have to lose? I brought it home. I must admit I thought I probably shouldn’t have a glass until my dinner is ready. I figured it quite possibly wouldn’t taste well on its own. Let me tell you, I was pleasantly surprised! You can imagine The Guy’s sarcasm when I introduced him to what I brought home. I told him the wine was on the table. He took one look at the little jug and said “This is the wine? It looks like a bottle of syrup!” THEN, he saw the dreaded screw-on cap! No way! I’m not drinking this!!!!! You can imagine the thoughts he experienced as I did myself. He too was pleasantly surprised. The flavor increased with our dinner and continues following dinner. Good pick for the price.

Martin Ray Winery
Santa Rosa, CA
http://www.martinray-winery.com/

No comments: