Monday, February 15, 2016

Gnarly Head Old Vine Zin

2013
Lodi Zinfandel
Manteca, CA

The opposite of my last post, this wine is definitely budget material. Wine Enthusiast supposedly gave this a 90 point review for its flavor versus price. I have to agree based on what I paid locally for this wine. It had dark fruit flavors with a hint of smoke, oak & vanilla. Pretty good on its own, I did enjoy it more added to a Paleo-friendly stew I made & with the meal (recipe follows below).



 



I went North to Vermont this weekend with my youngest, as if -12 degrees predicted for my hometown wasn't cold enough. On Saturday night, with the wind chill, we reached -35 degrees. A new record was set. It was a nice weekend spent indoors reading books & playing board games & watching movies & finishing a challenging puzzle that was begun last year!!! All with breath-taking mountain views.

Driving home today, we plugged in my daughter's I-pod Nano & she chose the musical format. There was a lot of Cold Play during our 2-1/2 hour journey as she knows I am a Chris Martin fan. We had a nice time together & now we are watching the Grammy's!

Honey you are a rock
Upon which I stand
And I came here to talk
I hope you understand 
Green eyes, yeah the spotlight, shines upon you
And how could, anybody, deny you
I came here with a load

And it feels so much lighter now I met you

Green Eyes, Cold Play

*Side note: my all-time favorite line I think: "I came here with a load and it feels so much lighter now I met you".

Paleo-Friendly Chicken & Cauliflower Stew (adapted from Robb Wolf's the Paleo Solution)

Ingredients:
3 T Olive Oil
2-1/2 lbs. Chicken Breasts (boneless) or Thighs
2 heads of Cauliflower, chopped
32 oz. Crushed Tomatoes (San Marzano are the best!)
1 or 2 Red Peppers, chopped
3 t Cumin
3 t Thyme
1-1/2 t Garlic Powder
1/2 c Red wine or to taste

Heat olive oil over medium heat in large skillet or big soup pot. Add chicken & brown on all sides. Add chopped Cauliflower & then add all remaining ingredients & reduce heat to low & simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally until everything is tender. Serve with an old vine zin!






8.0 out of 10.0
14.5% alc. by vol.
$9/750 ml. bottle locally, but $12.99 on various internet wine stores

No comments: