Thursday, November 1, 2012

Rutherglen Rare Tokay

Calliope
RL Buller & Son
Australia

This was the dessert wine my aunt brought the night we enjoyed "The Problem Child". My aunt, who isn't necessarily a wine "fan", does enjoy ice wines and/or sweeter dessert wines. This treat was from my uncle's wine cellar. BIG flavors of: fig, caramel, baking spices.

Technically, this is a "muscadelle", unrelated to the "Muscat" family, but similar in that it is from a white wine grape with grape juice and raisin nuances.

I am NOT a fan of sweet or dessert wines. This particular evening, we were having snickerdoodle cookies for our dessert (a vanilla drop cookie with lots of cinnamon). Well, my aunt, my mother and I enjoyed our first sip of the Tokay prior to bringing dessert to the table. We each said "mmmm" in varying degrees, but definitely "mmmm" in general. I then picked up a snickerdoodle and took a bite. Uh-oh, I thought. I absolutely knew the next sip of Tokay was going to send me over the edge. It totally did - it was a match made in heaven. I informed my mother and my aunt that they were going to need to stop their conversation and bite into a snickerdoodle and then have a sip of the Tokay. There just were no words being produced from the three of us. We could only pronounce grunts like cave men.

Love has a nasty habit of disappearing overnight.
--I'm Looking Through You, Lennon-McCartney--


8.5 out of 10
18.0 % alc. by vol.
$40 / 375 ML

No comments: