Sunday, September 26, 2010

Bogle phantom

2007
Petite Sirah, Old Vine Zin, Old Vine Mourvedre
California

There's that word I love to say over and over: "Mourvedre". It is indeed time again for "phantom". If you've never tried it, buy some. It is only released in the fall and its usual distinct flavor I await with anticipation.

I wish I could say I am a sophisticated taster. However, upon first heady smokey "sniff", I declared in my head "Yes!". I then tasted and the first words that totally popped into my head were (in the accent and bass of "Austin Powers"): "YEAH, Baby!" I then proceeded to thank God out loud for his blessings over the vines and allowing the conditions needed to present this awesome flavor. The Guy was put off by my outward devotion to a being who did not actually physically purchase the bottle.

I am indeed thankful tonight for a nice wine experience that I haven't enjoyed in awhile. Smoke, creosote and BIG stone fruit flavor and my personal favorite "warm rocks in the sun" taste enveloped my tongue in ecstasy. :)


He, amid his figs and wine
Cried, "Oh, loving friends of mine
Pleasures come but not to stay
Even this shall pass away"


Theodore Tilton, 1866 poem, resurrected in Robert Plant's, "Even This Shall Pass Away"


8.50 out of 10
14.5% alc. by vol.
$20/750 ml. bottle
boglewinery.com

No comments: