Monday, September 21, 2009

Kendall-Jackson Pinot Noir




Vintner's Reserve
California

2006

Will drink again for sure.

I am not a big pinot noir fan except for but a few I've had in the past with the right food. The Kendall-Jackson had more body than most and had me swooning when I least expected it. It packed a black cherry punch with ever so slight vanilla notes that I enjoyed. It took on a more brazen pepper flavor when introduced to our dinner: mushroom crostini. I recommend this pairing for anyone looking for a light supper and an enjoyable wine experience.

The following recipe I got from my desk calendar at work, which is of course wine-related, written by Karen McNeil (author of the Wine Bible). Karen recommends a pinot noir accompaniment to the dish.


Mushroom Crostini Recipe:

-4 c coarsely chopped mixed-variety mushrooms (chantrelles, porcini, shitake & oyster are the recommended mixture - I used baby portabella, shitake & oyster)
-2 sprigs of fresh thyme (this I have plenty of in my little kitchen garden and was so happy to make use of in such a delicious way)
-4 T Olive Oil
- 1/2 t ++ Salt
-(1) baguette, thinly sliced on an angle
-Freshly grated Parmesan Cheese


Cook the mushrooms in covered skillet over med-low heat with thyme, 1/2 t salt, and olive oil until the mushrooms give up their liquid and then reabsorb it. Uncover the skillet, increase heat to med-high, and saute the mushrooms until lightly browned. Season with more salt to taste and set aside.

Drizzle the baguette slices with olive oil and toss. Then place in a single layer on a baking sheet at the oven's lowest setting until they're crisp.

Top the crostini with the mushroom mixture, sprinkle with Parmesan on top, and place under the broiler briefly to just brown the cheese gently. Serve immediately with a glass of pinot noir.
(I recommend the Kendall-Jackson.)





"And it's not California here"
Hem
Not California


8.0 out of 10

13.5% alc. by vol.

$17 / 750 ml. bottle

No comments: