Tuesday, February 17, 2009

PHANTOM


2005
Bogle Vineyards
Petite Sirah, Old Vine Zinafandel & Old Vine Mourvedre Blend

The 2004 Phantom was one of my absolute favorites. I've been wanting to try the 2005 since October. On a whim, and hoping for a little uplift, I went right for purchasing it this evening. The clerk told me with boastful confidence that I'd made a wise choice. I told him I was extremely partial to the smokiness of the 2004. He told me I wouldn't be disappointed with the 2005. Well, unfortunately, I was. Although it had decent flavor, it had lost its fantastic individuality that the 2004 owned. It was a good wine, slightly peppery, a fairly good finish, but tasted a bit too much like any other, and no real smoky punch. The 2004 was a much better buy. Hopefully, you bought some and stashed it. Cause that's all folks.

8.0 out of 10
$21 / 750 ml. bottle

14.5% alc. by vol.
boglewinery.com

No comments: