Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Two Hands Angels Share Shiraz


2004
McLaren Vale
Australia

Loved this wine - would love to drink again.

(I was unable to snatch the bottle to get a pic before it was thrown away, however, the fab image to the right is found on the bottle.)

I reviewed Two Hands Gnarly Dudes Shiraz on New Year's Eve, 2007. See the review here: http://whattodrink.blogspot.com/2007/12/two-hands-gnarly-dudes.html.

Although the Gnarly Dudes had a slight edge over Angels Share, they are pretty darn close. The Guy and I went to his work picnic a few weeks ago and we were lucky enough to be given a choice of not-the-average-run-of-the-mill wine selections by his very nice and generous boss. Prior to our delicious main meal, we enjoyed this wine on its own. I also had it with home-made Clam Chowder (and shrimp cocktail) and still enjoyed it just as much.

This was a beautiful "dark ink" color and had that awesome McLaren Vale-specific taste to it. The Barossa and McLaren Vale are definitely two of my favorite Australian Shiraz regions. I found it to be smokey-mocha-oak-earth cherry in flavor and loved it. I highly recommend it, though it's not the average budget material :{

Tonight's reflection is yet another song that hits me personally (most that I post do in some way). It's my absolute favorite by "O.A.R". I hope it doesn't get overkilled on the radio (I fear it's starting to), but nevertheless it speaks volumes to me right now. I feel it represents Classic Co-dependency and wish I couldn't identify with it so. (And, as a side note, for my friend in the Netherlands who worries about my "broken hearts" poems and song choices - this is cathartic for me and it's who I am - but I am OK and so very grateful you care.)

. . .Stumble out, in the night
From the pouring rain
Made the block, sat and thought
There's more I need
It's always back to you

But I'm good without ya
Yeah, I'm good without you
Yeah, yeah, yeah . . .

. . .How many times can I break till I shatter?
Over the line can't define what I'm after
I always turn the car around
All that I feel is the realness I'm faking
Taking my time but it's time that I'm wasting
Always turn the car around

How many times can I break till I shatter?
Over the line can't define what I'm after
I always turn the car around

Don't wanna turn that car around
I gotta turn this thing around

O.A.R. - "Shattered"
www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzwAXlWkk3Y
(P.S. - It helps to turn this up nicely and belt it out with a look of anguish on your face)
(P.S.S. - while I enjoy YouTube for it's quick link videos, I ignore the comments and bad language by too many derelicts that tend to follow a music video - I suggest you do the same and don't read the comments - they are usually in no way a reflection of my personal tastes and I tend to find the majority either stupid or offensive or both)

(Robert Parker gave this a 95 if you're interested.)

8.5 out of 10
$29 / 750 ml. bottle
14% alc. by vol. (?)

1 comment: